French architects archi5 and Omar Kobbité Architectes (OKA), have won a competition to design the National Museum of Archaeology and Earth Sciences in Rabat, Morocco. More images and architect’s description after the break.
AN ANCHOR IN THE LAND OF MOROCCO
Our proposition is directly related to the themes of the Museum:
– An anchor in the Earth closest to the land, its topography, archeology
– An entry in depth, the visitor directly to infuse science developed
– Mineral architecture, referring to the constituents of our planet
– Architecture in motion, articulated as a skeleton, with its arches of various heights and lengths.
The building is not too massive.
It is quite the opposite:
– In visual harmony with the Lyautey block (height less)
– On the scale of surrounding built
– Perfectly linked to the gardens. Notre parti, est directement lié aux thématiques du Musée
A FLEXIBLE CONSTRUCTIVE SYSTEM
The Arch: a constructive and meaningful element
– It offers fluid spaces, adapted to different exhibition themes, gives volume and surface, shadows
and lights in walls
– It respects topography, come inside the garden, let inflitrates the plants
– Ensures a durable construction, incorporating technical networks
– It creates a lively urban promenade on Roosevelt Avenue.
By his generous height, it can be reduced depending on budget savings desired.
A NATURAL, GOOD AND ENEGETIC LIGHT
The different arch level, patios, opening on the garden, are creating beautiful light ambiance with:
– Smooth light from the north
– Powerfull light from the south filtred by Arab Moorish pattern designed by photovoltaic cells.
AN ENVIRONMENTAL APPROACH INTEGRATING :
– Visual comfort and collection preservation
– Rainwater recovery
– Energy production (photovoltaic cells)
ACCESS AND FUNCTION IN HARMONY WITH TOPOGRAPHY
On the different levels (plaza, logistic access, gardens) the building is directly accessible with the surrounding site
– The high entrance plaza gives unity and links between Lyautey block and the new building
– Visitor’s parkings are with the required size
PARTICULAR GARDENS FOR AN UNIFIED PARK
Divided in 3 gardens (representation garden, Arab Moorish garden, play garden), the Park evoques
the relation between men and Earth Sciences.
The gardens : `
– Are in continuity with exhibitions spaces,
– Become themselves descovery and visit spaces, animated by ponctués par des crystal displays.
The maintainded persepectives on the garden from the Lyautey block and the created views from
the new building ensure unifying link between the three gardens.
RESOURCES, KNOWLEDGE, CULTURE
By the sobriety of the project, the sustainability of architecture, environmental design, a simple
and durable shape is created. It is a teaching resource for the dissemination of global knowledge
and Moroccan culture.
Architects: archi5 & OKA
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Client: Kingdom of Morocco, Ministry of Culture
Surface: 24,730 sqm of new construction, 4,380 sqm for the rehabilitation
Cost: 90,237,000 Euros without taxes
Completion Date: February 2014
National Museum of Archaeology and Earth Sciences / archi5 & OKA originally appeared on ArchDaily, the most visited architecture website on 15 Oct 2010.